Monday, March 14, 2011

On Creatively Expanding (Understanding) the Concept of a Pillow

I've never used pillows. Well not in the conventional sense of resting one's head on a pillow to 'rest' anyways. I have one main pillow that serves mainly as decoration i.e. so that the side of the bed I sleep on doesn't look 'empty'. I also have two smaller pillows that are also decorative mainly, but I use them more when I lay in bed against the wall or something. I've never needed to have a pillow to sleep, like other people. I had limited the concept of a pillow to pillows. How objective is a pillow really?

Last nite I couldn't sleep. I 'tossed and turned' for like an hour until I began to feel desperate and thought "maybe I should take some NyQuil and pills", but I didn't. I stayed in bed and decided to fall asleep naturally like people are supposed to. In my desperation for looking for sleep I began to think about other options. Laying face down, I grabbed one of the smaller pillows and 'stuffed that shit' under my chest. I took a deep breath and thought "that was a deep breath. Deeper than usual." And I arrived to the conclusion that stuffing a pillow under your chest will allow you to take deeper breaths and just breath better. I hadn't used the pillow in its conventional way but still managed to acquire positive results.

By freeing myself of the concept that a pillow is a large cushion support for the head I was able to use pillows in any other way I can. I can get a large pillow, take everything from inside it, cut some holes and have myself a DIY sleeveless shirt. I can take some shoes, stuff them with socks and use them as pillows in a desperate occasion. Seems like a necessary evolutionary step suited well for our time.

The meaning of things is culture bound; our culture assigns things meanings that aren't explicitly there (has anybody asked why?) and this limits us tremendously. Am I proposing everything be ripped off its meaning? Fuck yeah. Culture offers us context to our present, but also limits us to what is acceptable within that culture. As someone in 'the youth of today', I see our culture only limiting us and not really providing us with any betterment. Every youth should have their culture, but one that isn't overtaken by the cognitive ability of symbolism. If I want to fuck a pillow, "Don't fuck a pillow because pillows 'aren't for' fucking" will not stop me. Have you talked to a pillow? Did it tell you it isn't for fucking? Unless you're on some hardcore Charlie Sheen, I think not. So do whatever you want with whatever you want whichever way you want it. Yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment