Thursday, February 10, 2011

An In-Depth Analysis of the Feelings I Feel and the Thoughts I Think When Listening to Radiohead's Kid A

Kid A by Radiohead is my favorite album because it makes me feel understood. Each song makes me feel negative feelings. But this makes me happy because that lets me know that someone understand the way I feel, even if it's someone I may never meet. It also marked the beginning of the end of the material era, heralding the informational age. It captures the feeling of emptiness I feel when spending days only with my computer.

1. Everything In Its Right Place
Calm and comforting, in a slightly twisted way. I listen to this song when I feel like everything is going wrong. Like after I do really bad on a math test or when I feel like shit. It is possible that this song influenced me to become the perfectionist neat-freak I became after not leaving my room for two weeks, or not. I cleaned up my whole room and made sure everything looked even and symmetrical. This song would play in the background of a post-apocalyptic cyber/nuclear wasteland. When no human has survived. But it would be nice because we don't exist anymore and we would be happy not existing.

2. Kid A
This is my favorite song. It makes me feel like I'm in a giant white room where every sound echoes on for a really long time. But it's mostly quiet so I just feel really alone. There's a baby in the middle of the room in a cradle but he's quiet, sometimes I think he's dead because he doesn't move or make any baby noises. I listen to this song all the time and when I feel like shit. This song makes me think of the future when human beings cease to be biological beings and choose to become synthetic beings. Robots. I think I like this song so much because I'm in love with the idea of a dehumanized human. A shell of a person. Every quality and 'virtue' we knew to be human ceased to be. Some other times I feel like I'm floating in an enclosed space. A giant white box maybe.

3. The National Anthem
The opposite of Everything In Its Right Place. Everything is a mess. I think this song would've been the right song to play on giant speakers when the 9/11 attacks happened. Except some people would've just died from desperation. Also for wars.

4. How to Disappear Completely (And Never Be Found Again)
This is the saddest song I've heard. Sometimes sad songs make me feel happy. Not this one. I think this would be the song someone would write before drinking a suicide pill. A complete sense of disconnection from anything or anyone in this world would probably drive someone to write this song. The feeling that you really are alone in this world and no one can understand the way you feel.

5. Treefingers
This song makes me feel like I'm floating in water face down. Maybe a pool inside a very large church. And maybe unconscious. But still with my eyes open, but can't really see anything because it is dark underwater. Swimming along with deep sea fish, the strange ones with lights on their bodies and stuff.

6. Optimistic
Hopeful but frustrating. It reminds me of times when I felt it was worth 'fighting' for something but no results were ever reached and I just wanted to give up. Like trying to make parents reason or having a conversation with Bill O'Reilly.

7. In Limbo
I listen to this song when I feel like shit also. Being stuck in a situation you don't really mind being stuck in, though it would be nice knowing you can get out. I think of my life that way sometimes. I'm in control of nothing around me.

8. Idioteque
Extreme manic attack. Desperation. Anxiety. I think this song could be used to psychologically torture people. Like just give them a bunch of drugs and give them some Bose headphones and make them sit through all the screaming and pleading. I sing this song sometimes and by the end I'm screaming or repeating "if I lost any children, if I lost any children, if I lost if I lost if I lost any children" over and over. I also shake my head violently as if I were saying no in an aggressive manner. Or move my body like if I was in a psychological trauma, forward and back. Forward and back. I listen to this song when I feel like shit.

9. Morning Bell
Calm also. I don't know why this song makes me think of an enjoyable breakfast. Maybe because it has the word 'morning' in the title.

10. Motion Picture Soundtrack
I think this is the sound people hear when life is leaving their body before they die. Relief. Brought by being finally done. The relief of just existing or not existing, but not living anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment